Saturday, December 3, 2011

Random tidbits

This time in 2 weeks, we will be in Thailand! I'm super excited, though also stressed with wrapping up the semester and doing last-minute prep. As a distraction, I thought I'd share some things that I've gotten a kick out of as we've been planning.

- While everyone we've interacted with speaks reasonably good English, sometimes the phrasing is...interesting. The website for one of our hotels (Hotel Alka in Varanasi) declares, "You will be mystified!" Thanks for that prediction, we already are! It also tells us that, in addition to a "Nice open terrace veg restaurant," they have available "S.T.D, I.S.D, and P.C.O" And a doctor on call. Huh.


- Our camel safari (!) sent an email with this entertaining note: "Many guests ask us as to what further action is needed to secure safari tour. Some day we will make a policy, complete with legal jargon, on how to secure our safari tour and how much you have to pay to cancel the safari. But till we do that, your word is good enough - we'll be happy to hold the safari tour. If you need to change your travel plans, please let us know." I particularly like the legal jargon bit!

- We'll be staying at the Holy Cow Hostel in Delhi! Corny though this is, I'm highly entertained! Less entertaining: they can't pick us up from the train station because it's too crowded. That's somewhat concerning. Yay, India? :)

Actually, I think that's all for now. More entertaining things as they occur to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment